School Improvement Offer 18/19
On the 9th November it was announced that underperforming schools would have the opportunity to receive extra support under Government plans to raise standards in classrooms across the country.
All eligible schools will be offered up to 3 days of free advice from a designated national leader of education (NLE) or equivalent. The NLE will work with senior school or trust leaders to help them identify and access school improvement resources.
Schools which are eligible (see below) and are also judged as ‘requires improvement’ by Ofsted in their 2 most recent consecutive inspections will be offered up to £16,000 of funded support to address the needs identified by the NLE.
For more information on the School Improvement 18/19 offer please visit GOV.UK.
- primary schools defined as ‘below the floor standards’ or ‘coasting’ based on KS2 revised data published in December 2018
- secondary schools defined as ‘below the floor standards’ or ‘coasting’ based on KS4 revised data published in January 2019
- not subject to ‘below the floor’ or ‘coasting’ (including, but not restricted to, special schools or local authority nurseries) and which are ‘requires improvement’ as judged by Ofsted
National Leaders of Education
National Leaders of Education are strong school leaders, who have experience of effectively supporting schools in challenging circumstances.
Due to the focus on NLEs within this School Improvement Offer, the Department for Education (DfE) held 3 briefing events to equip and enable NLEs to take on this role effectively.
The briefing event in London was attended by the Secretary of State for Education, Damien Hinds.
‘Teachers have the power to make the difference’
Secretary of State for Education, Damien Hinds at the NLE Briefing, 29th November in London
NLEs were also requested to complete a capacity survey to state if and how they would like to be involved in this offer. The results of this survey will determine how schools are matched taking into account distance, expertise and capacity.
The TSC regional teams have been commissioned by the DfE to be responsible for:
- Mobilising sufficient numbers of suitable, high quality NLEs to support all eligible schools choosing to take up the offer of support.
- Effectively brokering NLEs to eligible schools.
- Quality assuring a sample of recommended actions for tier 1 eligible schools; reviewing recommended actions for all tier 2 eligible schools to ensure that they are in line with the Department’s strict funding criteria, and, for tier 2 schools, working with DfE to sign off recommended actions.
- Overseeing and reporting on the delivery of the school improvement support for all schools, through termly reports.
Sub Regional Leads
(Derby City, Derbyshire, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire)
(Leicester City, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Rutland)
(Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham, Sheffield)
(East Riding, Hull, North Lincolnshire, North East Lincolnshire, York)
Regional Coordinator – Kate McKenna
Business Support Partner - Rebecca Smith email@example.com